Mmmm….today's recipe is already making my mouth water. Other than the old black forest gateau classic I have never made anything which involved chocolate and cherries. So I am super keen to get going with this Nigella Lawson recipe.
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
Here's what you will need to make the cupcakes:
125g of soft unsalted butter (lob it in the microwave for a short while if your butter is rock hard)
100g of a good quality dark chocolate broken into pieces
300g of morello cherry jam
150g of caster sugar
1 pinch of salt
2 large eggs (beaten)
150g self-raising flour
for the icing
100g of dark chocolate
100ml of double cream
12 natural-coloured glade cherries
1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4/350ºF.
2. Place the butter in a saucepan and melt on your hob.
3. As soon as the butter is almost melted you then need to add the chocolate and stir.
4. Leave the chocolate to melt for a moment and when it begins to soften remove the pan from the heat.
5. Now stir with a wooden spoon until the butter and chocolate are smooth and melted.
6. Add the cherry jam, sugar, salt and beaten eggs. Mix it all together with a wooden spoon and when thoroughly blended stir in the flour.
7. Now it is ready to be poured into your muffin cases and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
8. Cool in the bake tray on a rack for 10 minutes before turning out. Allow the cupcakes to cool.
9. For the icing you need to pour the cream into a saucepan and add the broken up chocolate.
10. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and then whisk until thick and smooth.
11. Ice the cupcakes, smoothing the tops with the back of a spoon, and stand a cherry in the centre of each.
All you have to do now is ignore the phone, don't answer the door, close your curtains and enjoy these little cupcakes of delight all to yourself. There's no way I will be sharing mine!